Wednesday, May 20, 2020

DAY 15 - EASIEST SHAKERS EVER



Today's guest artists were Kristina Werner and Heather Ruwe. Each did her own version of easy shaker cards. 

I used Kristina's method of cutting 8 frames from heavy copper metallic cardstock, adhered one to an acetate circle, then stacked and glued the rest, filled the well with some sparkly bits, and then attached the whole thing to my prepared underwater scene. I added some gold Nuvo crystal drops to the porthole to act as the bolts. I used two stamp and die sets for my first card which had so many pieces that I turned it into a 5x7 inch card.


I first stamped several images from the MFT pirate set and then did the same with some cute sea creatures. 

(The toucan die in the lower right corner was used to make my second card)

I'm trying to use up as many bits and bobs that I've made over the ages, and I had a pale blue alcohol ink piece that I took and cut several circles from as the background of my shaker. 

In the upper left piece I stamped some sea creatures with Memento black and dried that with my heat gun. The ink still wanted to remain wet and didn't play well at all with the background blue. I finally used Copics to color in the creatures which was disastrous. The Copics picked up the stamped black ink and I finally outlined each image with a fine black Sharpie after coloring. (It actually looks better in the photo than in person.) On the other two circles I temporarily placed other images that I had stamped, colored, and die cut which seemed to give me a cleaner result. On the upper right circle I used a light layer of Nuvo turquoise glitter drops but it was really splotchy. Eventually I used the lower circle and several of my diecut images glued to the shaker background.


My second card used a tropical paper frame mounted on foam tape. I used first and second generation stamping of tropical leaves for the background. Although it's hard to see I had gold and green metallic leaves from a sequin mix which I used in addition to other regular sequins that matched the colors in the patterned frame. I used my toucan die to cut all the bird and branch bits that I pieced together and glued. I attached it to to the front of the acrylic window and mounted the whole shebang onto a white A2 card.

6 comments: