Thursday, March 7, 2013

Inking and Collage



Tim Holtz's style and products have been inspirational (http://timholtz.com). I especially love his Distress Inks, how well they blend, and how reactive they are to water. In January I picked up some pocket calendars that had removable plastic outer covers at Michaels, and I decided to replace the cardboard covers with my own. I experimented with color combinations, embossing relief, stamping, and embellishments. At the end I sprinkled water over them to create lighter drips that gave them a slightly vintage look. Even though most people use a calendar app on their phones and computers, I still like carrying a "hard copy" in my purse. Here are a few example of what I came up with.


my first attempt

back
I included silk petals (dyed with watered down Distress Inks) on the cover of each.


I used Staz-On permanent ink for the main stamped images.

Here's what the cover looks like when it's lying flat.



Many of my projects end up being a combination of stamping and collage. This is one of my first attempts building a full-blown collage. At the time I was experimenting with translucent images superimposed over other elements to create an autobiographical piece. The photo is printed on a transparency.  
Sorry about the glare and skewed view!

A few months ago we had our kitchen re-painted, and the lemon stenciling I had done on the soffits was history. I took down all the lemon-themed items I had displayed over our upper cabinets and replaced them with white and metallic French country elements. However there was a blank spot on one wall that really needed something. I found a whitewashed shabby chic frame and came up with this collage. The background is a lovely impressionistic napkin that I stamped in random areas before adding the other elements. Of course I had to include one of my faux family photos!


Glare here as well and slightly out of kilter!

No comments:

Post a Comment