Monday, March 18, 2013

Foil Tape

YouTube is a wonderful resource for craft ideas and techniques. One of my favorite artists, RachO113, does amazing work. One video in particular, Metal Tape Art, 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLJO8W-0iPk&list=UUCjnlp_6bz8l5tdDot22UCA&index=19 

shows how to construct a foil covered collage that looks like a thick metal assemblage. Today I followed her directions and was pretty satisfied with my results. Here is the step-by-step process.

1.  I began by using a cardstock base and gluing a variety of metal, plastic, and chipboard pieces, letters, and ribbon to it.



2.  I then cut my 2 inch wide silver foil tape (from the hardware store) into a variety of sizes and began to randomly adhere them over the base.





3.  Using an embossing tool (center) I traced around the glued pieces that were underneath the foil to define them. Then I distressed the smooth areas with my Tim Holtz texture hammer (left) and a variety of objects that would make interesting impressions such as the red marker cover (right).



4.  I painted over the entire piece with black acrylic paint and wiped most of it off. The black remained in the indentations. Autumn gold Rub 'n Buff was lightly spread across the raised areas and buffed out when it was dry.



The resulting piece will be used to decorate the top of a box that I use to store my fibers (although I haven't quite figured out yet how to cover the rest of the box :) It's a really fun technique to try!





No comments:

Post a Comment