Saturday, July 6, 2013

Fathers' Day

I have a backlog of photos from recent projects. The Fathers' Day cards I made for my husband and son  were so fun to make and I learned a lot of new techniques along the way!

The thing I love most about paper crafters is their willingness to share ideas and techniques by providing detailed instructions. Since imitation is the highest form of flattery, I used a telescoping card created by Shelly Hickox as a template for my cards. Although hers included some awesome metal wings that extended out to the sides, my attempt at making a set from grunge board and foil tape was a dismal failure!

There are three separate sections that are distinct when fully opened (last picture at the bottom), yet they fold to create this entirely unique visual.


The first section began life as a distressed circle using a dictionary page edged in vintage photo Distress Ink (aka DI), then coated with UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel. I stamped the 3 gentlemen on cardstock (CS) which I colored with Distress Markers. The last addition is a die cut gear that was painted with black acrylic and embossed with silver embossing powder.



The largest section is a Weathered Clock die cut also painted with black acrylic and backed with kraft CS embossed using a gears embossing folder. I left the clock finish dull, but in retrospect I wish I had made it shiny using UTEE.



The final section was a dry embossed black CS circle that was topped with a weathered gear that had been painted in black and embossed in areas with gold embossing powder. I finished it with a clock face, game spinner, and Tim Holtz hitch fasteners. 



I also added assorted gears and pieces to the other two sections. When the sections were attached and extended, this was the finished product.







No comments:

Post a Comment