Saturday, February 22, 2014

February 2014 Tim Holtz Tag

This February tag used embossed stenciled hearts in shades of spun sugar, worn lipstick, and barn door over a tag aged with DI in pumice stone, milled lavender, and frayed burlap. I went with a color coordinated vintage valentine as its centerpiece and embellished it with an alcohol inked acrylic heart, voile bow, antique tatting, and two pale pink paper roses I made. 

I decided to ditch the sentiment and go with the vintage image instead. 
Even though I was quite pleased with my vintage tag, I wasn't very satisfied with the embossing powders I had when I made my first tag. These are my first chalkboard attempts using the supplies I had on hand. You can see why I abandoned them.
My disastrous first attempts using clear EP
Here I tried white EP (left) - clear EP (center) - and pink Distress Powder (right)
I was frustrated that I couldn't master Tim's chalkboard technique so I finally broke down and ordered both EPs used in Tim's tag as well as his Distress Embossing Ink (these tags are getting pretty expensive :)

For this second tag I chose pink background tones (spun sugar, tattered rose, and victorian velvet), but used a big, sparkly red heart as the focal point. The Valentine ticket used what I term 'chalk relief' since the chalk rubbed off the clear embossed print yet made the ticket much easier to read! 

2 comments:

  1. I like the vintage postcard you used and the overall effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tags are so great and fun! Love the vintage look of the first one, and the fun of the chalkboard one. I remember trying to use my regular powders for that technique when I took his online class and it didn't work at all. This powder really is cool and worth the buying!

    ReplyDelete